The Senior Substation Engineer serves as a technical specialist but may also be asked to participate in some management and marketing responsibilities. Acts as a senior engineer of the department. Responsible for technical development in the electrical engineering discipline.
- May serve as Project Engineer on routine to complex, single-discipline projects and routine to complex multi-discipline projects.
- Will serve as lead engineer on projects to coordinate work with other disciplines.
- Will interface with clients and vendors.
- Assists with proposal development and project documentation including estimating engineering manhours/construction costs estimates for scope.
- Able to create One-Line Diagram, Three-line Diagrams, Electrical Yard, Grounding & Conduit Layouts, and Protection & Control Diagrams for High Voltage Substations.
- Coordinates all aspects of project document completion within the company and externally with clients and other design professionals.
- Reviews work of the project design team. Checks the progress of work and alerts the Project Manager to needed changes to the scope or other services.
- Performs necessary field measurements independently. May train others.
- Works with code officials and other design professionals when an interpretation or exception to the building code is required.
- Promotes the use of and participates in the development of company design and production standards.
- Assumes responsibility for engineering within his/her discipline for routine projects.
- May be asked to make recommendation and/or decisions on unusual or complicated issues.
- May prepare or review construction budgets based on experience and scope of project.
- Performs and may direct construction support/management on routine and simple projects.
- May direct construction observation of others on simple projects.
- May assist in the education and development of design staff and acts as a resource for design questions.
- Manage & Coordinate drafters and designers in drafting required drawings for substation projects.
- Must have knowledge of applicable building codes and National Electrical Code & National Electrical Safety Code.
- Must keep current on the “state of the art” in their design specialty through review of periodicals and continuing education.
- Proficient in the use of computer for design and understand CAD operations.
- Proficient in the PC/windows environment with experience in e-mail, word processing, spreadsheets, etc.
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering degree required, with specialization in the electrical discipline.
- 8+ years of previous consulting or substation engineering/design experience.
- Ohio PE License. May be working towards certification.
- Ohio Drivers’ License.